It is important to ensure pupils use the internet responsibly and safely, with this in mind, please see below some useful resource’s about internet safety :
The following link is to a film based on the true story of Breck Brednar who was a victim of online grooming through the gaming platform and was tragically murdered as a result. You may wish to watch this video initially without your child present (it rated 15 due to the nature of its content) and then potentially with your teenager to help initiate conversation about why we need to be so careful online.
You can access our child protection policy and addendum via the link below, alternatively all our policies are available in the policy section of our website.
Andrew Hall, Specialist Safeguarding Consultant has recommended the following COVID-19 – resources for parents and carers (Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health)
The college have identified a range of useful websites and information to help parents and children at this time. The website can be found here: https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/covid-19-resources-parents-carers
The webpage can also be downloaded as a pdf here: https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/generated-pdf/document/COVID-19—resources-for-parents-and-carers.pdf
Stay at home activities for children and young people
Safeguarding contact in the event of a full school closure
In the event of a full school closure, if you think a child is at risk of abuse or you have a safeguarding concern, please report this directly to your local authority safeguarding team.
The Becket School and the Trust’s Designated Safeguarding Lead will be contactable during school hours 9:00am until 3pm Monday – Friday.
Barbara Nicholls DSL for The Becket School email@example.com Tel: 07597 601 163
Moira Dales Lead DSL for the Trust firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07852 133 114.
James McGeachie Trust CEO: j.mcgeachie@OLOLCATHOLICMAT.co.uk Tel: 07805 631 202
If you are a Nottinghamshire county resident please call the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub immediately on 0300 500 80 80 during working hours or call the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 0300 456 4546 out of working hours.
If you are a Nottingham city resident please call Children and Families direct on 0115 876 4800
In an emergency call 999 and to report a crime call 101.
Safeguarding issues can be very difficult to deal with. We have provided a list of tips for parents and families should you have any concerns in relation to your son or daughter.
Tip for Parents
1. Do not give a guarantee that you will keep what is said confidential or secret – if you are told about abuse you have a responsibility to tell the right people to get something done about it (see below).
2. Always stop and listen straight away if your son/daughter wants to tell you about incidents or suspicions of abuse.
3. Don’t ask leading questions that might give your own ideas of what might have happened (eg “did he/she do X to you?”) – Just ask “what do you want to tell me?” or “is there anything else you want to say?”
4. If you don’t have the means to write at the time, make notes of what was said as soon as possible. Write down what they have said in their own words.
5. Never think abuse is impossible, or that an accusation against someone you know well and trust is bound to be wrong.
6. As soon as possible (and certainly within 24 hours) inform one of the Safeguarding team (Mrs B Nicholls, Mrs S Shenton, Mr M Griffin, or Mrs Z Virgo .
7. If out of school hours and urgent call 101. If information is brought to your attention during the school holidays you find further details here: http://ceop.police.uk/
8. Matters of safeguarding must remain absolutely confidential and should not be discussed with anyone other than the proper authorities.
9. Never attempt to carry out an investigation of suspected or alleged abuse by interviewing people
The Becket Safeguarding Team – Keeping Students Safe
If you have any worries or concerns there are a number of staff in school who can support you. Our safeguarding team are here to listen to you and help you with any situation you may be facing. They are all very approachable and will listen to you no matter what issue you may have – so do come and speak to us!