You can access our child protection policy via the link below, alternatively all our policies are available in the policy section of our website.
Safeguarding issues can be very difficult to deal with. We have provided a list of tips for parents and families should you have any concerns in relation to your son or daughter.
Tip for Parents
1. Do not give a guarantee that you will keep what is said confidential or secret – if you are told about abuse you have a responsibility to tell the right people to get something done about it (see below).
2. Always stop and listen straight away if your son/daughter wants to tell you about incidents or suspicions of abuse.
3. Don’t ask leading questions that might give your own ideas of what might have happened (eg “did he/she do X to you?”) – Just ask “what do you want to tell me?” or “is there anything else you want to say?”
4. If you don’t have the means to write at the time, make notes of what was said as soon as possible. Write down what they have said in their own words.
5. Never think abuse is impossible, or that an accusation against someone you know well and trust is bound to be wrong.
6. As soon as possible (and certainly within 24 hours) inform one of the Safeguarding team (Mrs S Shenton, Mr M Griffin, Mrs Z Virgo or Mrs C Whitaker).
7. If out of school hours and urgent call 101. If information is brought to your attention during the school holidays you find further details here: http://ceop.police.uk/
8. Matters of safeguarding must remain absolutely confidential and should not be discussed with anyone other than the proper authorities.
9. Never attempt to carry out an investigation of suspected or alleged abuse by interviewing people
The Becket Safeguarding Team – Keeping Students Safe
If you have any worries or concerns there are a number of staff in school who can support you. Our safeguarding team are here to listen to you and help you with any situation you may be facing. They are all very approachable and will listen to you no matter what issue you may have – so do come and speak to us!
Mrs Shenton is an Assistant Head Teacher with responsibilities for Inclusion and the Curriculum. Mrs Shenton is highly experienced in dealing with Safeguarding matters and leads the team in partnership with Mr M Griffin.